Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tuesday's market in Cucuron has lace and spices!


It's Tuesday morning in Provence, which means there are many village markets underway! One of my favorites is the one in Cucuron, which is a 10 minute drive from my house in Grambois on a lovely winding road through the countryside.

Two other Tuesday markets in the Luberon area I like are in the village of La Tour d'Aigues and the town of Aix en Provence. These markets all start around 8:30 and wrap up around 12:30.

I like the Cucuron market because a couple of my favorite vendors are there and because the setting is absolutely wonderful. In this village there is a wonderful large pond, or 'bassin' as the french call it. Towering shady sycamore trees surround the pond and the market wraps around the pond under these trees. What can be nicer than that?

Well...one thing that makes it even nicer is the small cafe that sits on the far side of the pond, where my husband can sit peacefully over espresso while I shop.

There is a vendor in this market who sells french laces by the meter and today she had a lovely one in ecru with black stitching that I can add to the bottom edge of an old cotton skirt that I am getting tired of. Perfect!

Another favorite vendor in Cucuron is the man who sells spices from colorful baskets. There is a spice vendor in almost every market, of course, but this man is especially nice; today he helped me choose the curry for tonight's lamb stew.

If you have a hiker in your family, there is a 2-hour trail that starts on top of the Luberon range just above Cucuron in the village of Auribeau and ends at this market. You can easily time things for hikers and shoppers to meet at the pond for lunch in the cafe. One last thing, there is an ATM in this village and a terrific office of tourism with schedules and maps for music, outdoor sports, etc.

See you there??

1 comment: